Many foodies ask us how to reach Rome from the airport and vice versa. No stress! There are may ways: the best choice depends on the location of your hotel, and on how many you are, and of course on the airport you land.
Take note that Rome is served by two different airports: Fiumicino (located west side) and Ciampino (east side).
Fiumicino (FCO) is the biggest Roman airport and it is called Leonardo da Vinci. Terminal is organized in 4 different docks: T1, T2, T3 and T5. T5 is reserved to air companies from and to USA, and from and to Israel.
National and international flights from Rome vary according to final destination of air companies. There are info points managed directly by air companies in the main hall of the airport. Be sure about your airport name when leaving before planning your departure transfer.
For both airports
There are several Taxi Company available. Biggest and reliable Company is 3570 Tel. number +39 063570, operators english speaking, many taxi drivers speak English.
From the airport to Rome by taxi
There are always taxi cabs available outside the building of the Airport, waiting for passengers in line. Taxis licensed by Rome City Council are white and have a sign bearing the word “TAXI” on their roofs. The symbol of Rome City Council is clearly visible on the front doors and the license inside the back left. Other vehicles may well be driven by unauthorized persons and the fare could therefore be a great deal higher.
Tourist fishing is illegal. If someone stops you inside the building (even if wearing a kind of badge) asking if you’d need a taxi, simply ignore them and make your way to the exit. Taxi cabs are waiting at the taxi stand.
Taxi fare from both airports to Rome City centre is fixed. According to the address of your Hotel in Rome final fare may vary. Rome is a large city, fixed fares refers to an area that correspond to the ancient city limit (Aurelian Walls). Hotels outside this area will be reached with the meter fare.
Check if taxi driver is applying fixed fare
Fixed fares are inclusive of all extra charges from/to both Airports (prices are per journey and not per passenger).
- From Fiumicino Airport to within the Aurelian Walls and vice versa: € 48.00
- From Fiumicino Airport to Castello della Magliana – Parco dei Medici and vice versa: € 30.00
- From Fiumicino Airport to Nuova Fiera di Roma Exhibition Centre and vice versa: € 25.00
- From Fiumicino Airport to Ciampino Airport and vice versa: € 50.00
- From Fiumicino Airport to Tiburtina Station and vice versa: € 55.00
- From Fiumicino Airport to Ostiense Station and vice versa: € 45.00
- From Fiumicino Airport to Port of Civitavecchia and vice versa: € 120.00
- From Ciampino Airport to within the Aurelian Walls and vice versa: € 30.00
- From Ciampino Airport to Tiburtina Station and vice versa: € 35.00
- From Ciampino Airport to Ostiense Station and vice versa: € 30.00
From Rome to the airport
Booking a taxi cab pick up. You can call radiotaxi number and book a transfer for next day, or you’d call number from your Hotel. When you call a taxi please take a note of the code of taxi cab (provided by the radiotaxi) and be sure to jump in to the right taxi cab (taxi code is displayed on the side back doors of the cab). We recommend you to leave the hotel 3 hours before departure of your flight. If you’d like to pay by credit card advise the radiotaxi when making the booking.
You can book a taxi directly from the app https://www.ittaxi.it/ and pay by credit card. App is useful to call taxi in other Italian cities too. Very useful in case of very crowded days as per example, in case of bad weather, strikes and stuck of public transportation.
Booking a private limo transfer – you’d call one of the private companies that provides transfer to/from airport. Prices may vary according to Company. Usually more expensive then public taxi.
Airport shuttle service– shuttle shared service is available from centra located Hotels. Is a shared private vehicle with stops to pick up/drop off others at their hotels. Prices about € 40,00 per journey.
Train (to Fiumicino only)
- Leonardo express train connects Roma Termini with Fiumicino, flight takes 30 minutes approx. Fare is about € 14,00 per person
- Line Fiumicino – Fara Sabina (FM1): with stops at Tiburtina, Tuscolana, Ostiense, Trastevere – From Monday to Saturday every 15 minutes and Sundays or public holidays every 30 minutes. Fare: € 8 euros
From Rome termini station you can take Terravision buses to Fiumicino (every 30 minutes) and Ciampino (every 40 minutes) – € 4,00 fare per ticket
If you are min 2 people travelling with luggage and your hotel is not located close to one of the main stations and within Aurelian Walls, taxi is the best way. Taxi will pick up you directly at the Hotel without being forced to manage a transfer from the hotel to the train station and then to the airport. Compared to the price for transport from the hotel to the train station and train ticket, taxi is more convenient and comfortable.